Thursday, March 31, 2011

Painful Lessons

Modified from original note written by me in January.
One night I watched the Steelers game at a friend's and was elated when my team won. We then playedsome games and talked. A little after 11pm we bid them goodnight and headed home. Less than two miles from our house on a lonely stretch of  country road I saw a deer lying on the other side of the road thrashing her back legs.  A little blood was evident on the road. I exclaimed out loud, "Oh God it's still alive!" Tara had not seen the deer so I explained what I spotted. I then said, well I'm sure it will get up soon or die soon. I hate that the person who hit the deer didn't stop.
That night I said a quick prayer that the animal was either alright or at peace and finally fell asleep. This morning we got ready for church and on the drive in I watched for the deer, hoping it was gone. Instead I spotted her, lying in the ditch with her head up. She looked right at me and I could see pain and exhaustion in her eyes. It had been 11 hours since we passed her and she was still laying there, alive but gravely injured. I debated and finally called a friend to provide me with the County Sheriff non-emergency number. I explained the situation to the operator and she promised to send someone out to investigate and take care of the deer. Upon our return home this afternoon she was finally at rest, dead on the side of the road. I can only hope the Sherriff's deputy was able to end her misery in a quick manner.
This whole incident has really bothered me and I've had to get to the root of why. It is not the death of the animal, it is rather the inaction of others and most importantly the inaction of myself that has truely pained me.
The sermon that Sunday was a powerful one and specifically talked about the importance of living a right and just life. The discussion was about the importance of doing what is right and not standing idly by when an injustice was happening, even if the action wouild cause you to have to sacrifice in some way. That brought home the lesson of the deer. When we passed that doe on Saturday night, I saw an injured, frightened animal in need of help. I knew from the way she was thrashing that she was badly injured. I simply said a prayer and hoped "someone" would take care of the issue. 11 hours later I came face to face with my inaction. I also recognize that I can't be the only person who saw this animal on the side of the road suffering so I also came face to face with the inactions of others. When something is difficult or painful it is easy to turn away and ignore. It is really hard sometimes to look and truely see. I have learned an important lesson over the past day, I cannot turn away, ignore or pretend when I have the opportunity to do right. I know this will often mean sacrifice and sometimes pain but if I follow the will of God then I walk on a path protected and loved by the one who created me. I have the chance to spread that love and compassion to others by doing what is right and just and really seeing what stands before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment